I am so excited to feature my go to make up artist for my senior sessions, Safiyyah Johnston! She’s an amazing artist and fantastic woman! Check out our interview below featuring photos from our make up session with Callie Walker with MTV’s Real World, DC! Safiyyah did Callie’s make up and hair and as you can see for yourself, she did an AMAZING job!
1. Why is professional make up application so important when taking professional photos?
It is important to have makeup applied by a professional when working in a media setting because an experienced artist will know exactly how and what shades to apply in order to ensure a flawless and vibrant look. Product is typically applied quite a bit heavier for photo sessions to prevent the client from appearing pasty and washed out.
2. What are the benefits of air brush make up?
Airbrush makeup is known for it’s long wearing and natural effects on the skin. Because the foundation is lightly applied to the surface of the skin, there is no streakin or spotting. Many products can wear up to 12 hours and are water-resistant and smudge proof. For this reason, no other products compare. Airbrushed foundation is natural and cake-free if applied correctly. The coverage is build-able, and can hide even the more obvious skin concerns.
3. What is the difference between professional make up application and regular make up application when taking my senior photos?
Professional airbrushed makeup will not run and sweat off of your face while you’re shooting in the heat for a couple of hours. Your complexion will be as flawless in your last photo as it was in your first. Also, many professional artists know tips and tricks in contouring and highlighting the face to accent your best features (cheekbones, jawline, lips, nose, etc.).
4. What is your all time fave part of a make up session?
I enjoy applying eyeshadow the most. There are so many different styles and color combinations to choose from, and I love creating a look on a whim and watching it turn into something beautiful. I would have to say though that my absolute favorite part of doing the makeup is the clients reaction when I finally allow them to see it. Sometimes I look at what I’ve created and surprise myself with how awesome it looks.
5. What should I bring with me when I show up to our make up session?
Pictures from magazines of makeup styles that you like are always helpful. It gives the artist an idea of the type of look you are going for.
6. What’s in your make up bag?
My makeup bag is a little bit ridiculous, but some “must haves” are Aqua Eyes liner by Makeup Forever, Primer Potion shadow base by Urban Decay, L’oreal Carbon Black mascara, Sugar Lip gloss by Fresh, Desire blush by Nars, Revlon colorstay liquid liner, my naturals palet by Two Faced, Bare Naturale mineral foundation by L’oreal and Erase Paste by Benefit. I can create an awesome everyday look with only the products above.
Give us 10 tips to make our make up session with you turn out the best results!
1. Exfoliate with a physical exfoliator at least 2 days prior to your application session. It will help reduce dry patches and texturing.
2. Wash your face thoroughly before your session and apply a hydrating moisturizer. The foundation with apply more evenly if your face is prepped and ready before any color is applied.
3. Try to avoid using products containing salicylic acid at least 3 days before your appointment as it severely dries out the skin.
4. If you wear contacts, be sure to have them in prior to your session.
5. Be sure to wear a loose light colored shirt with a large neckhole or a button up for easy removal after your session.
6. Do not have your eyebrows waxed for at least a week before your session. It tends to cause alot of redness and swelling. In some cases even some scabbing.
7. Be sure to get a good nights rest prior to your appointment, there is nothing attractive about puffiness and bags under the eyes.
8. Bring pictures of styles that you are comfortable with. The artist may make suggestions, however, you are the one who needs to feel beautiful and pictures are a great indicator of your preference.
9. I recommend brushing your teeth before your appointment also to avoid smearing your lip color.
10. Lastly, trust your artist. Remaining calm and steady when products are being applied near your eyes is crucial. Twitching and squirming often causes errors. When you seem confident and collected it helps the artist focus on the task to ensure a stunning finish.
You can find Safiyyah’s website here, at FACEMAKER HOUSTON and her BLOG too! She does make up for ALL events and is truly one of the best make up artists around!
Email Me | View My Website | Find me on Facebook | Subscribe to my Blog | Follow me on Pinterest | Follow me on Instagram